Pages

Monday, October 2, 2017

Late Summer Yellow Squash Casserole

We've recently subscribed to a weekly "farm pack" from Up in Farms, a local food aggregator here in Jackson. The farm packs (most folks know this sort of service as a CSA) are around $32/week and you never know what you are going to get. While the price is a little bit of a stretch for my budget, I'm justifying it in several ways. First off, we are supporting local farmers and that is awesome. Secondly, it helps me consume more variety in my vegetable intake (and up my vegetable intake in general). And lastly, it is inspiring creativity in my cooking. Here is a recipe for Squash Casserole that I adapted from a zucchini recipe on one of my favorite cooking sites, Skinnytaste.


Late Summer Yellow Squash Casserole 

3 yellow squash, cut into ribbons & patted dry with paper towels 
1 heaping cup of biscuit mix
2 large eggs, beaten 
1/2 red onion, minced
1 shallot, minced 
1/4 cup grated parmesan
2 T grated mozzarella
1T olive oil
Ground black pepper, kosher salt to taste 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut squash into ribbons using a vegetable spiralizer, or a regular-old vegetable peeler. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, making sure biscuit mix is well incorporated (you want to moisten all the dry mix). Bake until golden brown and set in the middle, around 30 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment